Five Simple Yet Effective Fly Control Tips For Jacksonville Homes
June 29, 2021
The incessant buzzing could make anyone go mad. But flies in Jacksonville can be more than just annoying. They are dangerous to human and animal health and they have, in the past, cost Florida millions of dollars in crop losses. Lindsey Pest Services can help you effectively control flies in your Jacksonville home with five simple tips to save your sanity and pantry.
Jacksonville’s Home-Invading Flies
There are over 18,000 species of flies in and around the Jacksonville, Florida area. Why so many? Flies thrive in warm, humid climates, making Jacksonville the perfect place for them. The fruit fly, the house fly, and the blowfly are among the top home-invading flies thriving in Jacksonville.
Fruit flies are infamous. In 2016, a fruit fly infestation cost Floridians several million dollars in fruit crops. These sesame seed-sized insects can smell ripened fruit and fermenting material from over half a mile away! Once they descend on the food, it is difficult to get rid of them. Fruit flies lay their eggs in rotting fruit, and the eggs only take a day or two to become adults. So even though fruit flies only live for about a week, they can triple the number of fruit flies in your home during their short lifespan.
Homes across the world are plagued by house flies. These dark grey insects can grow up to 1/4 of an inch in length. During the summer months, one house fly can produce hundreds of additional flies. House flies typically lay their eggs in pet feces or human waste. They infest homes in search of food, using their contaminated feet to seek out sweets. When they find it, they slurp it up with their tongues.
The blowfly looks hairy and has a metallic appearance. The blowfly’s mouthparts look like hooks. Blowflies are attracted to rot, including dead animals. Like other flies, blowflies can carry dangerous pathogens and spread them to humans. Flies can spread over one hundred diseases to humans, diseases such as tuberculosis, salmonella, and dysentery.
Keep Flies Out Of Your Home
Flies are disgusting, annoying, and can spread harmful diseases. Prevention is crucial to keeping flies out of your home. Flies have a talent for sniffing out ways to get in your home. They find broken screens, damaged weather stripping, or cracks in the foundation. Our first two preventative steps are to find and seal up these potential entry points.
- Check and repair or replace screens and install door sweeps.
- Replace weather-stripping and seal gaps around windows and doors.
- Reduce Factors Inside Your Home
Flies come inside when there are food sources and a place to lay their eggs. Want to make your Jacksonville home less attractive? Eliminate the factors that attract flies into your space.
- Clean up outside: Cleanliness is your best defense against flies. On the outside of your home, collect, seal, and discard pet feces. Dispose of any accumulated yard debris like old wood or weeds. Use airtight lids on trash and recycling receptacles, making sure flies don’t get into the garbage, which is a perfect place for them to lay their eggs.
- Clean up inside: Similarly, on the inside of your home, keep counters and dishpans clean of food particles that might attract flies. Store leftover food in airtight containers and put your fruit in the fridge. Seal off your pet litter box and empty trash regularly.
- Invest in professional assistance: Our final prevention tip is to invest in on-going professional assistance. Avoid the hassle. Our team at Lindsey Pest Services provides the most effective fly control. By continually servicing your Jacksonville home, we make sure your home and pantry are fly-free in summer and all year long.
If you have questions, or you would like to schedule service for your Jacksonville home, reach out to Lindsey Pest Services today. We can help!
< Previous Next >