The Most Effective Rodent Control Solution For Your Jacksonville Home
November 14, 2022
For most people in Jacksonville, rodents are out of sight, out of mind; it's only when a homeowner bumps into a mouse in their kitchen or sees rats scurrying around in their basement that they spring into action to get rid of them. While this is a very common approach to dealing with rodents, there is a much better way!
Being proactive in your rodent control efforts and taking steps to prevent rodents before they get inside is very beneficial. If you're unsure how to get started, our Jacksonville pest control experts have some helpful rodent prevention tips to help boost your home's defenses.
Common Types Of Rodents That Invade Jacksonville Homes
Jacksonville is home to many different types of rodents. However, below you'll find the main culprits when it comes to invading our homes:
- House Mice: These small rodents range from 2 ½ to 3 ¾ inches long, with their tails adding another 3 to 4 inches to their body length. House mice have pointed muzzles, large ears, and eyes and are typically a dusty gray color with cream-colored bellies, though their fur can range from light brown to dark gray.
- Deer Mice: Slightly larger than the house mouse, deer mice measure 5 and 8 inches long and have brown fur with white underbellies and feet. The most defining feature of the deer mouse is its two-toned brown and white tail.
- Norway Rats: These large rodents have shaggy, reddish-brown fur speckled with black hairs and gray or white undersides, small ears and eyes, and blunt muzzles. Their long, heavy bodies range from 7 to 9 ½ inches long.
- Roof Rats: The smaller of the two rat species, roof rats grow between 6 to 8 inches long and are similar in color to Norway rats but have slender bodies, large eyes and ears, and scaly tails.
Rodents Around Your Home Can Spread Disease And Cause Damage
Rodents can cause a long list of problems for Jacksonville residents, ranging from frightening late-night encounters and damaged belongings to severe health and safety threats.
Mice and rats are extremely unsanitary creatures and can spread illnesses like typhus, hantavirus, rat bite fever, salmonellosis, food poisoning, and others. The presence of rodents may also trigger allergies and asthma attacks. Rodents can also carry fleas, ticks, and other parasites into your home.
Rodents are constantly chewing in order to file down their continuously growing front teeth, and this won't stop when they move into your home. These rodents will gnaw on just about anything, including personal belongings, furniture, structural wood, drywall, or even electrical wiring and pipes, which can lead to a house fire or flooding.
For all these reasons and more, you definitely don't want rodents anywhere near your home.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Rodents To Your Home
One of the best ways to deter rodents is to remove the factors that will draw them to your house. Here are some helpful rodent exclusion tips that you can put to good use!
- Seal any cracks, holes, or gaps in the exterior of your home using caulk or steel wool.
- Repair or replace damaged screens, install door sweeps on exterior doors, add screens to your vents, and replace weatherstripping around basement windows.
- Remove potential food sources by storing food in sealed containers or inside the refrigerator.
- Keep your yard clear of excess clutter or debris to remove hiding spots for scavenging rodents.
- Take your trash out regularly and store garbage in sealed bins.
The Solution To Total Rodent Control For Your Home
While these prevention tips can be helpful, the best way to get rid of rodents is to call a trusted pest control professional like Lindsey Pest Services to get started with effective rodent control in Jacksonville.
Don't wait until it's too late! If you're worried about rodents, contact us today to learn more about our Jacksonville pest control options.
< Previous Next >