Why Ants Invade Jacksonville, FL Homes & How To Keep Them Out
September 10, 2021
Ants (Formicidae) exist in over 10,000 species worldwide. Ants are insects with six legs that are omnivores and generally live in large colonies or armies. Although the most prominent types may reach one inch in length, most are roughly half that size. They are very opportunistic critters that can adapt well to indoor environments as necessary.
Some of the most common types that invade homes in Jacksonville, Florida, are as follows:
- Argentine ants: Known for forming extensive colonies that displace other species, Argentine ants originated in South America. They usually have a dark brown or black appearance and are often seen moving in large groups searching for food.
- Pavement ants: The pavement ant has a black or brown color and rarely exceeds ¼ of an inch long. Their small size allows them to infiltrate homes through tiny openings.
- Harvester ants: The harvester ant ranges from roughly ¼ to ½ of an inch long with a body that appears in shades of reddish-brown or black with light-colored hairs. They tend to create nests below ground, become aggressive, and attempt to sting those who disturb the colony.
- Pharaoh ants: With a yellow or orange-colored body, the Pharaoh ant rarely exceeds 2 mm in length, making it the smallest in existence. They are known to carry pathogens and are associated with salmonellosis, clostridium, and others.
Common Ant Attractants
Many of the ants in a colony stay busy seeking to find new sources of food. They will consume meat, vegetables, other insects, and much more. During their travels, ants create a trail of pheromones that signal to others who follow the scent. This is why hundreds of ants can appear so quickly when food is discovered.
Although ants might seek shelter from extreme weather indoors, they generally intrude when spills or crumbs aren’t promptly cleaned up.
Good cleaning habits are essential, including sweeping below appliances in the kitchen areas, thoroughly rinsing dirty dishes, and ensuring trash cans containing food scraps have tightly fitting lids.
Keeping Ants Away From The Exterior Of Your Home
A big part of pest control involves eliminating any access to your home. Here are some tips to limit outdoor harborage areas and entry points:
- Inspect the exterior foundation for holes or crevices and promptly seal them.
- Repair any holes in screens, and use weather stripping around the frames of doors and windows.
- Keep bushes, shrubs, and tree branches trimmed back away from the property.
- Remember to remove uneaten pet food.
Promptly Call Professionals To Help With Your Ant Problems
Some property and business owners mistakenly respond to evidence of a potential pest invasion nonchalantly, which worsens the problem significantly. Many will make half-hearted efforts to increase the frequency of cleaning or attempt to use mythical home remedies that are largely ineffective. In the meantime, many of these pests are actively reproducing and becoming more deeply entrenched.
Others try mass-marketed pest control products offered by local stores or internet retailers that produce limited short-term results and may contain chemicals that pose a risk to human health and the local environment. The best course of action is to promptly speak with a local pest extermination professional to thoroughly inspect the premises and develop an efficient solution.
Pest Control Services In Jacksonville
The team of experts at Lindsey Pest Services comprises local Jacksonville area professionals who have successfully provided solutions for residential and commercial clients in this region for many years. The organization is committed to delivering the highest-quality customer service and support that sets us apart from the competition. We will safely and effectively eradicate unwanted intruders such as ants, termites, bed bugs, rodents, and a host of other troublesome pests.
We stand firmly behind the quality of our work at Lindsey Pest Services. We have the tools and experience to rid ants and other unwanted pests from your property for good. Reach out to us today to learn more about our recurring pest control options and how the experts at Lindsey Pest Services can help you with your ant control needs.
< Previous Next >