Help! How Do I Get Rid Of House Mice On My Jacksonville, FL Property?
October 15, 2021
The most common home-invading pest are house mice. This is because house mice, like other rodents, have become dependent on people for easy access to food, water, and shelter. While these little critters might be cute to some, they can cause many problems on residential properties, including damage and spreading diseases. Because this pest is so common, you should know how to identify them as a Jacksonville, Florida resident.
The following traits can identify house mice:
- 5 ½ to 7 inches long from their nose to the tip of their tail
- Their tails are long, skinny, and covered in a light layer of velvety fur
- Large ears that stand up, small black eyes, whiskers, and a pointed muzzle
- Round bodies covered in golden brown to dark grey fur
Although small, house mice can cause significant problems for any home they infest. This is why you should know more about this pest and why they are so difficult to control.
Problems Caused By House Mice
It’s no secret that rodents are some of the worsts pests that can infest a home. This is because of two reasons: (1) their teeth never stop growing, so they need to chew to keep them short constantly, and (2) they carry and spread diseases and parasites.
Damages That House Mice Can Cause:
- Electrical shorts and water damage by chewing on wiring and piping
- Using insulation, cardboard, paper, and other materials to build nests
- Chewing through walls, flooring, wood, and plaster
- Damage to personal items such as books, clothing, and furniture
Diseases And Parasites Spread By House Mice:
- Lassa Fever
Other health concerns of house mice include contamination of food and surfaces with their excrement and saliva. They can also cause allergies and asthma with their droppings and shed fur.
The problems caused by a house mice infestation can be extensive, and no one would like to have a bad infestation.
Effective House Mice Prevention
Prevention steps are a necessity to avoid dealing with the consequences of house mice on your property. The following prevention tips can help reduce the possibility of house mice making their home at your home:
- Keep your property maintained by cutting grass and foliage.
- Remove grass cuttings and leaf piles.
- Store firewood and remove other debris that can provide harborage.
- Replace anything that has water damage both inside and outside your home.
- Use garbage bins with tight-fitting lids and take out the garbage regularly.
- Address moisture issues such as leaking pipes and faucets, clear the gutters, and remove standing water.
- Keep food in air-tight containers.
- Don’t leave pet food or dirty dishes out overnight.
- Seal entry points include holes in the foundation and exterior walls, gaps around utility lines, and ventilation.
While these house mice prevention tips are practical, house mice are clever and resourceful in finding a way inside. Mice only need a small hole to squeeze through so, even if you believe you have sealed all potential entry points, they might still manage to sneak in.
Professional House Mice Control
It is nearly impossible to eliminate an entire mouse infestation once they enter your home. They are quick reproducers, very resourceful, and fast. Instead of trying to deal with a house mice infestation on your own, you should contact the professionals at Lindsey Pest Services. Our experts can make your Jacksonville property safe against this unwanted pest using our rodent control services. Give us a call today to find out more.
< Previous Next >